[deprecated list] YADE documentation
Anton Gladky
2009-06-23 15:38:23 UTC
Hi all!

I have some thoughts on YADE documentation.

I am working with YADE not so much time. But the main thing, what waste a
lot of time, is the insufficient documentation. I'm sure it stops a lot of
new potential users and (probably) developers.

So my guess is, that it would be good to start from creating short but
informative instructions or howtos for different tasks. It should include
short description how to do it and good examples with comments. I like style
which has been used for C++ tutorial http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

I am ready to write some of such documents, but my YADE knowledges are yet
not so deep.

I think it is an important to have a good and easy-understandable
documentation.

______________________________
[ENG] Best Regards
[GER] Mit freundlichen GrÌßen
[RUS] С МаОлучшОЌО пПжелаМОяЌО
[UKR] З МайкращОЌО пПбажаММяЌО

Anton Gladkyy
Mohammad Nurul Islam
2009-06-23 16:14:23 UTC
Preparation of YADE documentation will be a good step for new users.I have some own documentation that I have prepared with respect to PFC and OVAL and some other open source DEM code, manual. And I guess other YADE users also have such types of documentation.If we share each others documentations, it will enrich YADE resource.

Ofcourse there are some documentation on YADE, but for new users it is questionable, how much it will be helpful !!!

Regards,
Mohammad Nurul Islam

I think if we have as more documents as possible will be positive for new
users. We can start from creating pages on wiki and then we'll see how it is
better to structure in one document.
______________________________
[ENG] Best Regards
[GER] Mit freundlichen GrÌßen
[RUS] С МаОлучшОЌО пПжелаМОяЌО
[UKR] З МайкращОЌО пПбажаММяЌО

Anton Gladkyy
Hi,
Václav Šmilauer
2009-06-24 22:16:36 UTC
The idea behind my proposal is to design a new structure for yade
documentation.
I know also that the current wiki contains a large quantity of
documentation thanks to contributors.
But honestly it is not very easy to find some information (this is NOT
a criticism because I am very pleased to be able to access the
informations contained in the wiki).
So I began this adventure in the hope that WE will find a nice design.
Here is a draft proposal of the doc structure: http://yade.wikidot.com
This mail didn't get through due to technical issues at launchpad today.
I post it just for completeness. Thanks for your effors, let's hope
there will be something coming from that :-)

===

Thanks for your proposition. I would prefer to have some content ready
before designing. There has been too much designing (in yade) of things
that never see the light or world (like new class names, coding
conventions, fem models) in yade and I am a bit suspicious about that.
Are there some obstacles for people adding pages now? Likewise, we have
bug tracker at launchpad, how many people use it?

I started (a few months ago) to create some pages that show how to do
this or that in python (http://yade.wikia.com/wiki/ScriptParametricStudy
or http://yade.wikia.com/wiki/PythonPlotting ). Janek pointed me once to
sawfish wiki, where they have nice scripts section
http://sawfish.wikia.com/wiki/Scripts - something like that could be
useful.

Anton Gladky
2009-06-25 07:52:54 UTC
I think Vaclav's example articles it is comparably what we need.
Such small instructions-example are very good for learning.

We dont need a lot of explanations in articles as people who are using YADE
(or plan to do it)
are mostly PHD-students or engineers and they can understand short
instructions.

It is necessary to include links where reader can get more information on
current topic.
Links can be to internet-pages or (and) to YADE source code.

______________________________

Bruno Chareyre
2009-06-25 10:53:43 UTC
Post by Václav Šmilauer
The idea behind my proposal is to design a new structure for yade
documentation.
I know also that the current wiki contains a large quantity of
documentation thanks to contributors.
But honestly it is not very easy to find some information (this is NOT
a criticism because I am very pleased to be able to access the
informations contained in the wiki).
Yes, I more or less wrote a similar message recently. The presentation
on wikia is not optimal, and there are many adds, which is always a bit
strange for presenting an academic code (not criticism either, I'm not
less responsible than others of the current situation anyway). I recall
cloning the content to a site hosted on a Grenoble University server was
in my plans. Perhaps merge both plans?
Post by Václav Šmilauer
So I began this adventure in the hope that WE will find a nice design.
Here is a draft proposal of the doc structure: http://yade.wikidot.com
Very good!
However, is there any guarantee that wikidot will not inlude adds at a
point? IIRC, wikia added more and more with time, and changed the pages
presentation too.
Post by Václav Šmilauer
Thanks for your proposition. I would prefer to have some content ready
before designing. There has been too much designing (in yade) of things
that never see the light or world (like new class names, coding
conventions, fem models) in yade and I am a bit suspicious about that.
This is true.
Post by Václav Šmilauer
Are there some obstacles for people adding pages now? Likewise, we have
bug tracker at launchpad, how many people use it?
Not much I guess... The problem as I see it here in Grenoble, is that we
have many users who are not very experienced in sophisticated coding
tools (me included). They are happy enough when they can install linux,
download/compile Yade, handle c++ syntax and understand inheritance. At
this point, they quit following the incredibly steep learning curve and
focus on their PhD subject. Most of them won't even commit anything in
their last PhD year if the superviser is not requesting so.

It is in fact hard to start using the advanced development tools when
you don't know in what way they could help, or even you don't know they
exist (see Vincent who is a skilled developper but keeps using cerr/cout
instead of log4cxx :-P ).

Also, some crucial information about Yade is not in the wiki, nor in
doxygen doc : it is in this mailing list. Which means new users will
probably have hard time to find it.

What Jerome Duriez did once before was a really good idea : give a
starting point for using Yade.
Now, it would be good a time for a "level 2" guide for Yade
usage/development, which would summarize the advanced use of Yade.
Perhaps not a big text, but at least a general view with pointers to
relevant pages.

Emanuele Catalano will start working with Yade very soon (he used Yade
last year during his master and he is now in 1st year of PhD), and he
agreed to take notes and prepare this "lvl2" guide while he learns the
advanced features himself.

I'm thinking about the following possible topics, feel free to add more
if some come to mind :

- Downloading/compiling Yade
- Documentation (J. Duriez's begginers guide, wiki, doxygen + doxygen
commenting convention) and how everybody can improve it.
- Creation of new classes and usage of SVN (I see people modifying
existing classes to do what they want, best way to stop updating/commiting).
- Python console and scripts
- The logic of Sconscripts
- Kdevelop/CTags and perhaps more tricks to navigate in the code
- debuging tools
- usage of log4cxx
- bug tracking (?)
- Parallelization
- Profiling

I know something exists already on most aspects. Again, the idea is more
to give links than to write a new doc from scratch.
Perhaps also update some of the existing-but-old wiki pages.

Bruno
--
_______________
Chareyre Bruno

Grenoble INP
Laboratoire 3SR - bureau E145
BP 53 - 38041, Grenoble cedex 9 - France
Tél : 33 4 56 52 86 21
Fax : 33 4 76 82 70 43
Anton Gladky
2009-06-25 11:19:40 UTC
I think lvl2 Guide will be a very useful thing.
Ready to help as much as I can.
______________________________

Anton Gladky
2009-06-25 11:43:12 UTC
If everybody agree with this "table of content",
I propose to create on Wiki the document with such structure and everybody
can add the their information.

Anton Gladkyy
Václav Šmilauer
2009-06-25 12:50:55 UTC
Post by Bruno Chareyre
Also, some crucial information about Yade is not in the wiki, nor in
doxygen doc : it is in this mailing list. Which means new users will
probably have hard time to find it.
Would it be possible (Vincent?) to make wiki page collecting things that
need to be documented? Be it precise things (that class needs doxygen
docs) or more general ones (how do I do this in yade).
Post by Bruno Chareyre
- Creation of new classes and usage of SVN (I see people modifying
existing classes to do what they want, best way to stop
updating/commiting).
Horrible.
Post by Bruno Chareyre
- Python console and scripts
- The logic of Sconscripts
- Kdevelop/CTags and perhaps more tricks to navigate in the code
- debuging tools
- usage of log4cxx
- bug tracking (?)
- Parallelization
- Profiling
Nice topics. I agree, maybe some more, let's see what comes up! Thanks
to Vincent for his initiative despice my initially discouraging comments :-)

Vaclav

Bruno Chareyre
2009-06-25 17:05:24 UTC
You can put ideas here (sorry, I added this page as a new category,
which was obviously not a good idea...):

http://yade.wikia.com/wiki/Category:New_documentation_structure_and_items

Remy Cailletaud already installed a wiki on 3SR server actually, but it
is only for internal documentation, and not accessible from outside the
university without login and password.
It is powered by wikimedia (gpl2), the same software as wikipedia. It
should not be a big problem for Remy to create a second one for Yade
with the same engine (only potential problems may be due to network
security rules, we will see next week when Remy is back, but he had a
solution last time I asked him).

The initial idea was to export the current wikia wiki and transfer the
content to a 3SR wiki in some semi-automatic way.
Vincent's initiative to copy-paste manually, and re-organise pages at
the same time needs more hardwork, but it removes the inherent
complexity of cloning from wikia. Less work for Remy (shorter delays ;-)).
I'll keep you updated on this, I hope we can start next week.

I just checked alternatives to wikimedia here :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_wiki_software
There are too many of them!

I couldn't find what software wikidot is using, wich perhaps means they
have their own private software.

Any other ideas abou what wiki engine to use?

Bruno
--
_______________

Anton Gladky
2009-06-25 18:21:20 UTC
Some more ideas on that. It is a good idea to have a one server for
everything: common website, documentation, subversion, maybe forum etc.
And also important to have own domain name. For now there are: wikia.com,
berlios.de, launchpad.net.... I think it is not a good thing. And it is also
not a good for search machines.

______________________________

Václav Šmilauer
2009-06-25 20:28:10 UTC
wikia.com, berlios.de, launchpad.net.... I think it is not a good
thing. And it is also not a good for search machines.
I am actually quite happy with launchpad and we have everything there
(bug and feature tracking, mailing lists, package archive), except SVN
which is still at berlios -- once we switch (maybe) over to bzr, we can
have that at launchpad, too (we already tried once, but it didn't work
very well at that time) -- and wiki. Wiki at launchpad is a long
requested feature, but I don't think it will ever happen due to
resources launchapd would need for that:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/launchpad-registry/+spec/wiki-hosting

Anton Gladky
2009-06-26 08:46:36 UTC
Well, I think we should definitely decide what will be next steps: or we
continue to work on old wiki (wikia), or we work on wikdot, or we wait for
separate server in Grenoble...

If we do all of this things we'll get 0 result :(
So I even propose to do voting.
______________________________

Post by Bruno Chareyre
You can put ideas here (sorry, I added this page as a new category,
http://yade.wikia.com/wiki/Category:New_documentation_structure_and_items
I wrote some comments between VR and /VR
You can also have a look at http://yade.wikidot.com
I couldn't find what software wikidot is using, wich perhaps means they
have their own private software.
Have a look here: http://www.wikidot.org
It is said that wikidot is free (AGPLv3, see details on the site), the
society is based in Poland, and the sources can be retreived with git at
http://github.com/gabrys/wikidot
Any other ideas abou what wiki engine to use?
+ syntax seems to be compatible with wikia
+ well-known
+ Remi is experimented with it
- nasty look (in my poor opinion)
+ easy to use (for the user, maybe administration is more complicated)
+ nice and clean look (top and side bars are customizable + css)
- Remi has no experience with it (but I know that he is not afraid of new
challenges)
- syntax is quit different from common wiki
- ... ?
Vincent Richefeu
2009-06-26 10:18:23 UTC
or we continue to work on old wiki (wikia), or we work on wikdot,
or we wait for separate server in Grenoble...
If we do all of this things we'll get 0 result :(
So I even propose to do voting.
Be patient!
As Bruno said, we must talk with Rémi on monday.

We can:
- think and then act,
- or act and then think (this is what I do sometimes!),
- or think and then think and think and...

I also hope that we will not stay on the third solution!

VR
Anton Gladky

VR
Vincent Richefeu
2009-07-01 07:33:51 UTC
Post by Anton Gladky
Any progress on new WIKI-service?
No, we were misinformed and Rémi is still not there. :(
Everyone can still put its ideas on yade.wikidot.com (register
to wikidot and join the site for that) or on Bruno's page:

http://yade.wikia.com/wiki/
Category:New_documentation_structure_and_items

In worst cases I don't think the work will not be lost.

VR
Anton Gladky
2009-07-16 08:50:25 UTC
So, what about "creating bug" on this item?
I mean we can include creating LVL2 Guide to Milestone 0.20.0

Any ideas?
______________________________

Vincent Richefeu
2009-06-26 08:26:18 UTC
Post by Bruno Chareyre
I couldn't find what software wikidot is using, wich perhaps means they
have their own private software.
Have a look here: http://www.wikidot.org

It is said that wikidot is free (AGPLv3, see details on the site),
the society is based in Poland, and the sources can be retreived with
git at GitHub:
Post by Bruno Chareyre
Any other ideas abou what wiki engine to use?
Just informative comments:

wikimedia:

+ syntax seems to be compatible with wikia
+ well-known
+ Remi is experimented with it
- nasty look (in my poor opinion)

wikidot:

- ... ?
Jerome Duriez
2009-06-25 11:56:10 UTC
(The debate went over - a very good thing !! - since yesterday when I
tried unfortunately to send this mail. I re-try almost to see if I
succeed in sending a mail to Yade-users...)

I fully agreed with a previous remark of Bruno complaining that it was
very difficult to find anything on the current site. I do not know
either this is due to the use of wikia, or if wikidot could be better,
but if this is the case, I think using a second wiki is a very good idea !

Jerome
Hi,
If no objection, I propose to create a second wiki (on wikidot.com)
exclusively dedicated to yade documentation.
I personally use wikidot and I find it much more user-friend than wikia.
I could "design" and propose (in a first stage) a structure for the
site. Then, any contributor will be able to add pages.
In worst cases, the second wiki may be deleted.
Please give me your opinion about this solution,
VR
Post by Anton Gladky
I think if we have as more documents as possible will be positive for
new users. We can start from creating pages on wiki and then we'll
see how it is better to structure in one document.
______________________________
[ENG] Best Regards
[GER] Mit freundlichen Grüßen
[RUS] С наилучшими пожеланиями
[UKR] З найкращими побажаннями
Anton Gladkyy
Hi,
Václav Šmilauer
2009-06-25 12:51:08 UTC
Post by Jerome Duriez
(The debate went over - a very good thing !! - since yesterday when I
tried unfortunately to send this mail. I re-try almost to see if I
succeed in sending a mail to Yade-users...)
I fully agreed with a previous remark of Bruno complaining that it was
very difficult to find anything on the current site. I do not know
either this is due to the use of wikia, or if wikidot could be better,
but if this is the case, I think using a second wiki is a very good idea !
Nice to see people are enthusiastic for that. Let's try to make the
documentation better this time.

Vincent Richefeu

Vincent Richefeu
2009-06-24 19:16:54 UTC
The idea behind my proposal is to design a new structure for yade
documentation.
I know also that the current wiki contains a large quantity of
documentation thanks to contributors.
But honestly it is not very easy to find some information (this is
NOT a criticism because I am very pleased to be able to access the
informations contained in the wiki).

So I began this adventure in the hope that WE will find a nice design.
Here is a draft proposal of the doc structure: http://yade.wikidot.com

VR
As for me it is no differences where Yade documentation will be
placed. The main is to have the articles.
So if you find wikidot.com better - no problem. We just need to
place links from yade.wikia.com and define which documentation will
be in yade.wikia.com and which one will be in wikidot.com.
PS Actually, in a future it is good to have 1 website with all YADE
stuff.
PPS domain name yade.info is available